The HEAD Foundation, in partnership with the Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study in Research in Agriculture (SEARCA), conducted the inaugural Leadership Development Program for Higher Education Institutions in Southeast Asia at the University of Philippines, Los Baños in January 2019.
Over the five days, Dr N Varaprasad (Former Vice President of NUS), Prof Ashok Kapoor, Prof Paul Teng (National Institute of Education International), Dr Calvin Chan (Singapore University of Social Sciences) and Dr Rebekah Lim (Singapore University of Social Sciences) covered the following topics:
- Analysis of external factors and positioning of HEIs including challenges, issues, and opportunities
- Understanding and capitalising on one’s strengths
- Values and ethics in change leadership
- Strategic management
- Design thinking
- Human capital development in HEIs
- Disruptive technologies in teaching and learning
- Quality assurance in teaching and learning
- ASEAN mutual recognition framework
- Transitioning from management to leadership
At the end of the workshop, the participants were able to articulate on the current challenges facing Southeast Asian HEIs, discuss present-day principles and best practices in leadership and management in higher education, analyse contemporary issues and problems in higher education leadership and management; and propose strategic actions to address the current challenges and to take advantage of present opportunities facing their respective HEIs in particular and higher education in Southeast Asia in general.
Read about SEARCA’s coverage of the programme here.
View the gallery below for more scenes from the programme.
The Foundation also conducted a leadership programme for polytechnic leaders in Indonesia.